Scouting isn't just about completing Merit Badges and going camping (though both of those things are awesome)! One of the best things any young person can do is learn from professional people who are experts in their field. In order to help provide yet more opportunities for learning, we are assembling a team of smart, talented, influential people to launch our Virtual Speaker Series!
Our new Virtual Speaker Series launches on April 1st! The topics will differ each day with our speakers coming from all walks of life; from world famous authors and illustrators to game designers to physicists working on solving the energy crisis.
Each session is FREE but space is limited so be sure to register with us online. Click on the sessions below to register.
- Wednesday, April 1, 2pm: Sec. Francisco A Urena, Massachusetts Secretary of Veterans' Affairs, is a former Marine and was awarded a Purple Heart after sustaining injuries as a tank commander during Operation Iraqi Freedom. Francisco also previously served as the Veterans' Services Officer for the cities of Boston and Lawrence.
- Thursday, April 2, 2pm: Mike Durkin, President of the United Way of Massachusetts Bay and Merrimack Valley, has over 30 yearas of United Way experience across the country and is passionate about serving his communities. A graduate of Boston College, Mike is also a part of the Mayor of Boston's Task Force on Individual Homelessness.
- Friday, April 3, 2pm: John Judge, President & CEO of the Appalachian Mountain Club, America's oldest outdoor recreation and conservation organization. John is author of The Outdoor Citizen and speaks regularly about his work at the nexus of outdoor recreation, nature system services, technology and city planning.
- Monday, April 6, 2pm: Larry DiCara, attorney, author, and former Boston City Councilor, was the youngest person ever to serve at age 22. Larry is among Boston’s most recognized civic leaders in addition to serving as a consultant, lobbyist, and trained mediator and authored the memoir Turmoil and Transition in Boston: A Political Memoir from the Busing Era.
We'll be adding more sessions to our schedule each week. In the meantime, take a look at some of the additional speakers we'll be welcoming soon!
- Peter H Reynolds, author & illustrator of children's books including The Dot
, Ish, The North Star, So Few of Me, and more. Peter also co-founded the educational media company, FableVision, with his brother Paul and is a on the Board of Trustees for Everbody Wins Metro Boston, a non-profit literacy and mentoring organization serving the communities of Greater Boston.
- Micah Mortali, Director of Outdoor Education & Programming at Kripalu, is also the Dean and Founder of the Kripalu School of Mindful Outdoor Leadership. Micah is a Mindful Outdoor Guide, a certified 500-hour Kripalu yoga teacher, and is author of Rewilding: Meditations, Practices, and Skills for Awakening in Nature.
- Mike Wankum, On-Air Meteorologist & Weather Producer/Reporter for WCVB-Channel 5, has been forecasting weather in Boston for over two decades. Mike is an award-winning forecaster with thirteen regional Emmy Awards and in 2017 the Washington Post listed him as one of the 7 “Coolest” Meteorologist in the United States.
- Barry Sloane, Chairman, President & CEO of Century Bank, a lender to local businesses, municipalities, not-for-profit organizations, and families. Headquartered in Medford, MA, Century Bank employs more than four hundred staff and is acknowledged annually in the Boston Globe 100 as one of the top-performing publicly traded companies in Massachusetts.
- Bree Sullivan, P.E., Senior Civil and Environmental Engineer at Bayside Engineering, has a demonstrated history of working in the civil engineering industry with experience in Land Development, AutoCAD, Highways, and Drainage. She holds a BSCE focused in Hydraulics/Hydrology from UMass Amherst and previously served as Chair for the Town of Reading Conservation Commission.
- Bob Higgins, Co-Founder and Managing Partner at Causeway Media Partners, is a graduate of Harvard University, where he also earned an MBA and is a part-time faculty member. Bob has over 30 years of venture and private equity investment experience and the Forbes Midas List and AlwaysOn Venture Capital 100 recognized him as one of the top venture capitalists in the industry.
- Peter Brennan, Partner at PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC), is the former President and Chairman of the Board for the Spirit of Adventure Council. A graduate of Boston College, Peter has years of experience in the financial industry and is a long-time supporter of the Scouting and our Council.
- Anthony Consigli, CEO of Consogli Construction, is a graduate of Harvard University and on the Board of a number of local organizations, including the Norman Rockwell Museum. Under Anthony’s accessible leadership, Consigli has grown steadily, increasing from $1 million to $1 billion in annual volume.